Friday, August 31, 2012

Green eggs & ham

Let's get something straight.  Nobody wants to drink spinach.  I mean, seriously?  Sure, there might be a couple weirdo, gluten-free, super-healthy Boulder, Colorado dwellers who do, but in general, Joe Normal is not looking to slurp spinach through a straw.

At least that's what I thought until Wednesday night.  This is me, eating my words.

yes, that's one of my new headbands!

If you've been on the Internet in the last 2 years, you've seen people posting pictures of green smoothies.  I swear not a week goes by that at least one of my friends doesn't post a green smoothie pic on Facebook. Weirdos.

Fast forward to some point in the day on Wednesday.  I'm on a boring conference call, I pull Pinterest down from my browser, and once again ... ANOTHER GREEN SMOOTHIE!  What the WHAT?  Geez people, give it a rest!  However, for some reason, I decided to click through to the blog.  Under the first picture, in nice bold letters, this smart blogger wrote " they do not taste healthy at all. I repeat, they do not taste healthy at all."  Now THIS sounds interesting!

So I kept reading through this entry, looked at the ingredients, and decided 2 things.  1.  that since I had done a short walk with the neighbor that morning, I would go to the gym with the hubs that night, and 2.  reward myself with a Green Monster Smoothie (notice I've modified the name to remove the word "spinach").

Don't get me wrong; I like spinach.  In salads and ... spinach artichoke dip, and salads.  So I just can't reconcile how this is going to taste in my brain, you know?

But I got the ingredients and got ready to work out again.  I figured if it was awful, I could just make salad with the rest of the baby spinach.
 
Let me tell you this:
  • It wasn't awful.
  • In fact, it was kind of good.
  • So good that I purposely took a short walk* today so I could go to the gym with the hubs later this morning so I can come home and have another.
  • It was TOTALLY FILLING!  I mean, seriously.  Today I am going to make a half.  It was that filling.
  • And I felt more energetic the day after.  Maybe it was just a placebo effect, but I swear I have been complaining about how tired I am lately, and I did NOT feel that on Thursday.
  • So now I too can post a pic of a green smoothie.

If you DO want to make one, I'll tell you the change I made.  I didn't freeze my banana in advance (who remembers to do that?).  But that wasn't a problem, because I believe smoothies should have ice in them.  So I put about a half of a cup or so of crushed ice in the bottom of my blender, and then loaded it with everything else.  Worked like a charm.


*short walk = 3 miles.  I know, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while.  A long while.  To catch you up, I broke my leg on the descent from a 14er in June.  It was a hard summer, but I&...