At least that's what I thought until Wednesday night. This is me, eating my words.
|yes, that's one of my new headbands!|
If you've been on the Internet in the last 2 years, you've seen people posting pictures of green smoothies. I swear not a week goes by that at least one of my friends doesn't post a green smoothie pic on Facebook. Weirdos.
Fast forward to some point in the day on Wednesday. I'm on a boring conference call, I pull Pinterest down from my browser, and once again ... ANOTHER GREEN SMOOTHIE! What the WHAT? Geez people, give it a rest! However, for some reason, I decided to click through to the blog. Under the first picture, in nice bold letters, this smart blogger wrote " they do not taste healthy at all. I repeat, they do not taste healthy at all." Now THIS sounds interesting!
So I kept reading through this entry, looked at the ingredients, and decided 2 things. 1. that since I had done a short walk with the neighbor that morning, I would go to the gym with the hubs that night, and 2. reward myself with a Green Monster Smoothie (notice I've modified the name to remove the word "spinach").
Don't get me wrong; I like spinach. In salads and ... spinach artichoke dip, and salads. So I just can't reconcile how this is going to taste in my brain, you know?
But I got the ingredients and got ready to work out again. I figured if it was awful, I could just make salad with the rest of the baby spinach.
Let me tell you this:
- It wasn't awful.
- In fact, it was kind of good.
- So good that I purposely took a short walk* today so I could go to the gym with the hubs later this morning so I can come home and have another.
- It was TOTALLY FILLING! I mean, seriously. Today I am going to make a half. It was that filling.
- And I felt more energetic the day after. Maybe it was just a placebo effect, but I swear I have been complaining about how tired I am lately, and I did NOT feel that on Thursday.
- So now I too can post a pic of a green smoothie.
If you DO want to make one, I'll tell you the change I made. I didn't freeze my banana in advance (who remembers to do that?). But that wasn't a problem, because I believe smoothies should have ice in them. So I put about a half of a cup or so of crushed ice in the bottom of my blender, and then loaded it with everything else. Worked like a charm.
*short walk = 3 miles. I know, right?