- Take water. Always take water.
- Most everyone will greet you while you're walking. If someone doesn't, it will be a male, age 30-50, on a mountain bike. And when I say "greet you," I mean wave, nod, smile, say "good morning," or comment on the weather. Some people are even so happy to see you they will greet you from across the street!
- People walking dogs think everyone likes dogs.
- People walking dogs think you'll look at their dog before (or instead of) looking at them.
- If you look at the ground, you'll see all kinds of interesting bugs and wildflowers.
- If you look at the ground too long, you will start to hunch like a hobbit.
- Which will convince you that you should do yoga.
- Everything looks different on foot.
- Diesel trucks are as stinky (or worse) as you always thought they were.
- My nose runs while walking. I have no idea why, but I take Kleenex now.
- It doesn't matter how many times it happens; hearing a biker yell, "on your left!" is always startling.
- If you look around, you'll see interesting things, like skis as fence reinforcement.
Thursday, August 9, 2012
Things I learned while walking
What I've learned while walking:
It's been a while. A long while. To catch you up, I broke my leg on the descent from a 14er in June. It was a hard summer, but I&...
Two years, huh? Yup. Two years. So ... we've established that I'm a slacker. Let's also establish this: I didn't lose a...
And so I thought I'd put on this shirt one more time. Let's discuss. My grandmother sent me birthday money one year, and I took i...
The plan for today had been to do my first fourteener and you'd have been reading about that late tonight or some time tomorrow. Ins...